I have said it before and I will say it again, self-care and wellness is not a passing fad. It is a necessity to survive the busy and often stressful lives we immerse ourselves in. However, it is all very well taking care of ourselves physically and mentally… but what about spiritually?!
How can we restore ourselves and heal our spirits? If you were to go to your doctor and tell them you were living an uninspired life and appeared to have lost your spark or zest for it, what would they do? Perhaps run some tests, refer us for counselling or provide a prescription.
Whilst modern day Western medicine is amazing for healing deadly viruses and life-threatening illnesses, what happens when it is our spirit that isn’t feeling well?
When I talk about the spirit feeling unwell, it could be things such as:
- Feeling uninspired or flat.
- Feeling of being lost.
- Loss of hope.
- Feel like giving up.
- Believing in the negativity you’re building around you.
For a lot of people these symptoms will be diagnosed as clinical depression, anxiety or another mental health illness, which they will then be prescribed medication for. However, perhaps there is something deeper that even the wonders of medicine cannot reach or address.
Not only do we need to take time to heal the mind and body, but you also need to stop and take a moment to heal the spirit. Singing and dancing are glorious ways to do this, but not necessarily the most well-used, as for some, even getting up is a task let alone karaoke and performing the macarena!
However, here are some ideas you might like to try in order to heal the spirit:
- Do something nice for someone else. A kind act performed for another creates a biochemical reaction in our brain, but there is also a spirit-based reaction too that will encourage you to further imagine and actually do more nice things for others as well as yourself!
- Find something uplifting. Look for a spiritual community. Be it a group or simply somewhere that focuses on something good, has a positive atmosphere and is a place where you feel happy. Read books to stir your soul or join a singing group.
- Get outside. You’d be amazed at how getting away from screens and technology and simply walking through the woods, a field or in a park can help. Take a look at how happy kids are playing outside… there is a reason for that.
- Let it out. Whatever is inside that you are holding in, let it out. If you don’t, it will continue to eat your soul from the inside and stop you from feeling happy and content with life and your soul from feeling complete.
These are but a few ways in which you can care for, nurture and heal your soul. Whichever way you choose to do it, just do it. Dance, sing, tell wonderful stories, but above all… let it out.